The Office of the Registrar of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 (NSW) is undertaking an Aboriginal Owners Research Project in the Upper Hunter Valley.
The aim of the research project is to gather information, including family histories and genealogies, to allow for Aboriginal people who are descendants of the “original Aboriginal inhabitants” of the Upper Hunter Valley region to have their names entered in the Register of Aboriginal Owners for the Upper Hunter Valley.
The Office of the Registrar is running a series of Aboriginal community meetings to inform communities about the project.
The meetings will be held at:
• Mudgee – 10am-2pm, Friday 22 May, Mudgee LALC, Unit 1/1 Industrial Avenue
• Walhallow Village – 10am-2pm, Saturday 23 May, Walhallow (Caroona) Community Hall
• Metford – 10am-2pm, Wednesday 27 May, Mindaribba LALC, 1A Chelmsford Drive
• Muswellbrook – 10am-2pm, Thursday 28 May, Muswellbrook Workers Club, 15 Sydney Street
• Singleton – 10am-2pm, Saturday 30 May, Singleton Youth Venue, corner Pitt and Bathurst streets
For further information, please contact Megan Mebberson, Manager, Office of the Registrar of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act on (02) 9562 6333.