3 December 2020
The NSW Aboriginal Land Council (NSWALC) supports the findings of the 2020 Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage (OID) Report, which detail the vital role that Aboriginal community-controlled organisations play in addressing disadvantage.
The report by the Productivity Commission has found that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures create a strong foundation for building wellbeing in 32 key areas, and that successful initiatives shared the following characteristics by:
- Addressing racism and discrimination
- Sharing decision-making with Aboriginal organisations/communities
- Addressing laws and policies detrimental to Aboriginal peoples
- Including investment, collaboration, and coordination
- Ensuring access to effective culturally safe services in line with community needs.