Information for LALCs – Flood Assistance

4 March, 2022

4 March 2022

Information for LALCs – Flood Assistance

This document provides information about key disaster assistance measures the Commonwealth and NSW Governments are providing for communities impacted by the NSW flood crisis.

While all care has been taken in the preparation of this document, the situation is changing rapidly, and is current as of 4 March 2022. Please continue to monitor localised updates relevant to your area.

The 17 LGAs declared as disaster areas are: Armidale, Ballina, Bellingen, Byron, Clarence Valley, Coffs Harbour, Glen Innes Severn, Hornsby, Kempsey, Kyogle, Lismore, Nambucca, Port Macquarie/Hastings, Richmond, Tenterfield, The Hills, and Tweed.

Phone numbers

  • Triple Zero 000 for life-threatening situations
  • Text Telephone (TTY) 106 for hearing or speech impaired life-threatening situations
  • State Emergency Service 132 500 for flood and storm assistance
  • Service NSW for grant packages and replacement documents 13 77 88
  • SafeWork NSW replacement business documents 13 10 50
  • Legal advice 1800 801 529

Below is a list of some of the assistance that is available. 



  • Disaster Assistance Finder

The NSW Government has an excellent interactive assistance finder available for people in disaster-affected areas, to see what assistance is available in their personal circumstances.

Please click on the link below, and the finder will take you through a range of questions.

Disaster Assistance Finder (

  • Disaster Recovery Payment for the 17 LGAs

A lump sum of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child if your home has been severely damaged or destroyed, or you’ve been seriously injured.

Please click on the link below for eligibility and how to claim.

Disaster Recovery Payment (Services Australia)

  • Disaster Recovery Allowance for the 17 LGAs

Short-term income assistance  (up to 13 weeks)  for individuals, small businesses and farmers if you’ve lost income as a direct result of the NSW floods.

Please click on the link below for eligibility and how to claim.

Disaster Recovery Allowance (Services Australia)

  • Food Boxes

Food boxes are available at every Evacuation Centre via Food Bank and Resilience NSW.

If you are isolated and can’t get to an evacuation centre, contact the SES to be taken to an evacuation centre. Due to ongoing safety risks, emergency services are currently unable to deliver food boxes to people who choose not to be evacuated by the SES.

List of NSW Evacuation Centres (SES)



  • Disaster Relief Grant (Individuals)

If your home or essential household items have been destroyed or damaged by a natural disaster.

Please click on the link below for eligibility and how to claim via Resilience NSW. You will need to call 13 77 88 and they will send you a form.

Disaster Relief Grant Individuals

  • Small Business Grants (NSW Government)

The NSW Government plans to roll out grants for small businesses impacted by storms and floods.

If your business premises have been damaged, please take photographs of the visible damage as soon as it is safe to do so, to assist in accessing support in the future.

You will need to register your interest for these grant programs, via the link below.

Small Business Grants (Service NSW)

  • Multiple Recovery Support Packages  (NSW and Commonwealth Government)

The Commonwealth and NSW Governments has also announced $434 million in  funding for local councils, small businesses, not-for-profit organisations, communities, and farmers  to support communities clean up and remove damage and debris

This is based on clean up, recovery and rebuild efforts and includes but is not limited to:

  • Grants of up to $50,000 for small businesses and not for profit organisations.
  • Grants of up to $75,000 for primary producers.

Please click on the link below for a range of support resources and to register your interest.

Multiple Recovery Support Packages (via Service NSW)

  • Telstra Assistance Package

Free and interim assistance if you are a Telstra customer and have lost communication services following the storms and major flooding.

Please click on the link below and scroll down the page.

Telstra Assistance Package

  • Replacement Birth (and other) Certificates

Birth, Marriage or Change of Name certificates that have been destroyed due to a natural disaster can be reissued at no charge at your nearest Service NSW Centre or call 13 77 88 for more information.

Service NSW can also help you to replace certificates registered in other Australian states and territories or in New Zealand.

  • Replacement Business Licences and Documents

Free replacement of some licences, permits and certificates that have been destroyed or lost during the floods.

Call 13 10 50 to arrange a replacement and see the link below.

Replacement Business Licenses and Documents

  • Legal Advice (Legal Aid and Community Legal Centres)

The Disaster Response Legal Service NSW provides FREE legal advice and information to anyone affected by a disaster. Contact 1800 801 529 9am-5pm Mon – Fri or visit the link below.

Free Legal Aid Advice Hotline and Free Community Legal Centre Advice


If you need support accessing assistance, please contact your Zone Office. The Zones can assist and link LALCs to support with applications and grants:

NSWALC Zone Offices

  • Northern Zone Office, Coffs Harbour: (02) 6659 1200.
  • Western Zone Office, Dubbo: (02) 6885 7000.
  • Eastern Zone Office, Gosford: (02) 4337 4700.
  • Southern Zone Office, Queanbeyan: (02) 6124 7909.
  • Far Western Zone Office, Broken Hill: (08) 8087 3851.

You can access a downloadable/printable PDF here.


We pay our respects to the Traditional Owners of the lands where we work as well as across the lands we travel through. We also acknowledge our Elders past, present and emerging.

Artwork Credit: Craig Cromelin, from a painting he did titled, "4 favourite fishing holes". It is a snippet of his growing years on the Lachlan River, featuring yabby, turtle, fish and family.